Google Data Center Hardware Operations Engineer in Hamina, Finland
Google isn't just a software company. The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As an Operations Engineer, you'll install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google's Linux cluster). You'll also tackle the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. You'll participate in or lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans. A typical day involves manual movement and installation of racks, and while it can sometimes be physically demanding, you are excited to work with infrastructure that is at the cutting-edge of computer technology.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Contribute to the team in the deployment, projects and support of new data center infrastructure as our Linux cluster grows.
- Fix broken servers, replace hard drives, replace bad sticks of RAM, etc.
- Configure and troubleshoot Linux OS related issues on our servers.
- Install and maintain switches, routers, and other large scale networking gear.
- Help test and troubleshoot new server hardware components and designs.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- LPIC or equivalent experience working with Linux (Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo) or Unix (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, BSD).
- Experience working with and troubleshooting hardware/network related issues using Linux based tools.
- Understanding of basic OS, PC hardware and networking concepts, tools and protocols.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently and idiomatically.
- Ability to lift/move 50 lbs (25kg) equipment on a daily basis.
- This position requires shift work that may include after hours, weekends and holidays.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.